Welcome to flying stories of my time in Viet Nam



These stories are dedicated to James G. Zeimet who I refer to in a number of them. Jimmy was a good friend and class mate in flight school, a "hootchmate" in Vietnam and he frequently talked about his desire to fly Medivac. After about seven months in Vietnam, he finally got his wish and was transferred to the 283rd "Dustoff" Medivac unit at Camp Holloway, Pleiku. On September 4th, 1968, he lost his life flying the mission he dreamed about while trying to save the life of a fellow soldier. His name appears on panel 45W - Line 37 at the Wall in Washington, DC.

When I got out of the Army in 1972, I had this idea of writing a book about my experiences in Vietnam where I flew helicopters. While a noble goal, I didn't get started on it for about 35 years. As time passes, you tend to push bad experiences into some seldom visited spot in your brain where they don't bother you much. But I still remember Vietnam like it was just yesterday and wish I could plug my mind into a PC and play it! It would be an interesting video. I won't post everything I've written all at once because I intend to scan old slides, (I have hundreds!) to add to the stories which should provide a little interest. So here they are and I hope you enjoy them.

In the stories, I describe any enemy combatant as a “gook”. This term has no racial connotation nor is it a slur. We used it as freely as one would say, “bad guy”. I can relate it to WW2 radio terminology for German enemy as “Krauts" or "Gerry’s”. Nothing personal or racially motivated, just a convenient way of alerting your fellow war-fighters about your foe. I also refer to anyone fighting the war on the ground as “Grunts”. This is a term I use with great respect for those that weren’t privileged to fight “their war” from the comfort of a helicopter or enjoy going back to “base camp” each evening to a cold Budweiser and a relatively clean bed. The Infantrymen I spoke with unanimously opined that we were the ones that were at much greater risk than them and they would much rather spend their “tour” safely on the ground and exchanging bullets with the NVA. I guess it’s all in your perspective.



2/14/08

Attention in the company area!

According to my flight records, (DA 759) I flew a lot of night time in May through July, 1968.  I most likely was flying a mission called “Nighthawk,” which was a recon or observation flight that normally launched at dusk and ended at sunrise the next morning.  Many other aviation units had this same type of mission with the same name or whatever they came up with.   So this closely approximated a third shift schedule and caused the crew to sleep during the day. 

The mission was not too popular among most of the aviators for some reason and the enlisted crew didn’t really have any choice.  A hooch mate and I liked the advantages of flying during the cool of night and the variety things you might encounter during eight to ten hours of flying then. 

The Warrant officer hooch’s normally had three aviators assigned and we slept mid-morning until evening chow time.  Everyone knew our sleep schedule and tried to limit excess noise.  They also knew if we got awakened too much, they might have to fill in for us so it was a pretty good system. 

During this time the orderly room got a PA system that had speakers in the enlisted area that was adjacent to our area.  The system was loud enough and when used enough it would awaken us and quickly became very unpopular with the Nighthawk crew members while we tried to get rest during the day.  We discovered that the wires from the orderly room to the speakers were run under the eaves of the building our hooch was in.  In fact, right by our hooch windows.  After a nearly sleepless day we snipped the wires and that solved the noise problem for a week or so while the breaks were tracked down and spliced.  Then the booming, “Attention in the Company Area” resumed and we hatched a plot to end the problem more permanently. 

This time, we snipped the wires and brought the end that went to the orderly room into our hooch and plugged them into an 110V outlet.  (We were told later that the amp in the orderly room literally went up in smoke!)  So that ended the announcements and allowed the Nighthawk crews to sleep. 

The speakers were still installed in the enlisted area so we ran the wires from them into our hooch and attached them to one of our stereo amps.  We made our own announcements like, This Place Sucks! with tremolo or reverb effects and high volume.  We played, “We gotta get out of this place” by the Animals which was well received!  Someone finally took down the speakers so that was the end of the PA system and a lot of enjoyment.

No comments: